The BFG is a 2016 American fantasy adventure film directed and co-produced by Steven Spielberg, written by Melissa Mathison and based on the 1982 novel of the same name by Roald Dahl. The film stars Mark Rylance, Ruby Barnhill, Penelope Wilton, Jemaine Clement, Rebecca Hall, Rafe Spall and Bill Hader. In the film, an orphan human girl befriends a benevolent giant, dubbed the "Big Friendly Giant", who takes her to Giant Country where they attempt to stop the man-eating giants that are invading the human world.
Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall began development on a live-action adaptation of The BFG back in the 1990s, and various screenwriters were hired to work on the screenplay in the subsequent years. DreamWorks acquired the screen rights to Dahl's book in September 2011, and Marshall and Sam Mercer joined as producers, Mathison as screenwriter, and Kennedy as executive producer. Spielberg was announced as director in April 2014, alongside his production company Amblin Entertainment as co-producer. Principal photography commenced in March 2015, marking Spielberg's first directorial film for Walt Disney Pictures.
The BFG premiered at the Cannes Film Festival on May 14, 2016, and held its North American debut at the El Capitan Theater on June 21, 2016. The film was released in the United States in Disney Digital 3-D, RealD 3D, IMAX 3D, and conventional theatrical formats on July 1, 2016, the same year of Dahl's centennial. The film received generally positive reviews from critics, though the film was a box office disappointment according to analysts, with a worldwide gross of $176 million on a $140 million budget.
- Mark Rylance as the BFG, a 24 ft. benevolent giant whose name is short for the "Big Friendly Giant". He is called "Runt" by the other giants.
- Ruby Barnhill as Sophie, an orphan who befriends the BFG.
- Penelope Wilton as Queen Elizabeth II, the queen of the UK.
- Jemaine Clement as the Fleshlumpeater, a 54 ft. giant who is the de facto leader of the man-eating giants.
- Rebecca Hall as Mary, the Queen's maid.
- Rafe Spall as Mr. Tibbs, the Queen's butler.
- Bill Hader as the Bloodbottler, a 43 ft. man-eating giant who is the second-in-command to the Fleshlumpeater and has a fondness for the taste of human blood.
- Michael David Adamthwaite as the Butcherboy, a chubby and immature man-eating giant who wears clothes made from circus tents and is known for collecting cars.
- Daniel Bacon as the Bonecruncher, a dark-skinned, bald-headed man-eating giant.
- Chris Gibbs as the Gizzardgulper, a burly, bearded man-eating giant who wears a helmet.
- Adam Godley as the Manhugger, a very tall and slim man-eating giant that wears a vest and shorts.
- Jonathan Holmes as the Childchewer
- Paul Moniz de Sa as the Meatdripper
- Ólafur Ólafsson as the Maidmasher
- Marilyn Norry as Mrs. Clonkers, the head of the orphanage where Sophie was living.
- Chris Shields and Matt Frewer as the Queen's Generals
The BFG (2016)
(( Right Click On Download Image & Click Save Link As... ))
Post Hit: 1035 Times