The Mask is a 1994 American live-action/animated superhero fantasy comedy film directed by Charles Russell, produced by Bob Engelman, and written by Mike Werb, loosely based on the comic series of the same name distributed by Dark Horse Comics. The film stars Jim Carrey, Peter Greene, Amy Yasbeck, Peter Riegert, Richard Jeni, Ben Stein, Joely Fisher, and Cameron Diaz in her film debut. It revolves around an unlucky bank clerk finding the Mask of Loki that grants him extraordinary cartoon-like superpowers, and causing havoc around an industrial city.
The film was released on July 29, 1994 by New Line Cinema, becoming a critical and commercial blockbuster, grossing over $351.6 million over a $23 million budget and receiving positive reviews. It cemented Carrey's reputation as a dominant actor of the '90s, and established Diaz long-term as a leading lady. Carrey was nominated for a Golden Globe for his role, and the film was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Visual Effects but lost to Forrest Gump.
- Jim Carrey as Stanley Ipkiss / The Mask
- Cameron Diaz as Tina Carlyle
- Peter Greene as Dorian Tyrell, a mobster who wants to take over the city's underworld. Greene was cast after the studio's top choice, Gary Kemp, turned it down.
- Richard Jeni as Charlie Schumaker, Stanley's best friend and colleague.
- Peter Riegert as Lt. Mitch Kellaway, a cynical police detective who hunts the Mask, as well as Tyrell and Niko. Before Riegert was cast, the studio considered Richard Gere for the role.
- Jim Doughan as Det. Doyle, Lt. Kellaway's dim-witted partner.
- Amy Yasbeck as Peggy Brandt, a reporter with a crush on Stanley. In a deleted scene, Peggy is killed by Tyrell shortly after he first puts the mask on.
- Orestes Matacena as Niko, a Greek mafia boss and Tyrell's nemesis.
- Eamonn Roche as Mr. Dickey, the son of the Bank President who is Stanley and Charlie's superior.
- Nancy Fish as Mrs. Peenman, Stanley's grumpy land-lady.
- Tim Bagley as Irv Ripley, a mechanic who rips off Stanley.
- Johnny Williams as Burt Ripley, a mechanic and Irv's brother.
- Reginald E. Cathey as Freeze (called The Doctor in the film), Dorian Tyrell's trusted lieutenant and friend whose death, inadvertently caused by The Mask, drives Tyrell into a personal vendetta against Ipkiss.
- Denis Forest as Sweet Eddy, one of Tyrell's henchmen. Before Forest was cast, the studio considered Chris Elliott for the role.
- Ivory Ocean as Mayor Mitchell Tilton, the mayor of Edge City.
- Joely Fisher as Maggie, another one of Stanley's colleagues.
- Ben Stein as Dr. Arthur Neuman, Stanley's psychologist. He is the only character to appear in both The Mask and its sequel Son of the Mask.
- Royal Crown Revue as themselves / The Coco Bongo Band
The Mask (1994)
(( Right Click On Download Image & Click Save Link As... ))
Post Hit: 3139 Times